Friday, December 31, 2010

Trade offs

Moving from Anguilla to here, I have had to make some trade offs. How many times had I sat in my shorts on the beach watching and listening to the waves lap up against the shore, the birds cawing above me? Not a footprint on the beach for as far as I could see. Looking out at the billowing clouds as they meandered across the sky, beer in hand. Hypnotic in the way that looking at a fire can be.

Trade offs.

Today, I sat outside in my chair, bundled up against the cold, 6-8 inches of snow all around me. Not a footprint anywhere around me. Scotch in my hand. Not a sound to be heard. Crystal clear blue skies. The mountains covered in white glistening powder. A lone squirrel running along the top of the fence chirping at me and pretending to be Louis Armstrong. I actually heard him sing, "What a wonderful World". You know what? That squirrel was right. It is a wonderful world!!

Trade offs are good.

Happy New Year to all!! As good as life is, the best is yet to come.

No comments: