Monday, February 1, 2010

The passing, the drums, and the cave

What a weekend on dee islon mon. Saturday I went off to my first island funeral. A rasta friend of mine's mother passed away. What a beautiful service with plenty of old time singing. They then walked with all the people across the street to the cemetery. Singing. It was a beautiful sendoff to a very nice woman. I only met her once, but that was enough to know what a wonderful person she was.

Saturday was a day of recuperation and then to a drum circle. My first ever. What an experience. If you ever get an opportunity, try it. There were young kids there, adults, and older people. There is something about all these instruments playing together that is good for the soul. Everyone has the rhythm inside them and it is easy to let it out. The facilitator actually told me I had great sense of rhythm and would/could I help her to facilitate in the future. She goes to schools and elderly homes to do it. I am definitely going to help out and even may do it on Saturdays down at the cafe.

Today was a rainy day, but didn't stop a friend and I from hiking down a beautiful trail that winds through lush vegetation all the way down to the sea. Afterwards, we went to some caves that have been here since before the Arawak Indians. I have never been inside a cave where we had to climb into it. There were passages that were quite small and others that you could easily stand up in. We ventured further into the cave when the realization hit us that we only had one flashlight and if it shit the bed on us we were in for a long crawl back to daylight. Well......that unnerved me enough to say, let's get the hell out of here and come back another time. Really fun and interesting to see. I'll be back.

Every time I think I've seen it all in Anguilla, new things pop up. Can't wait for next weekend to see what new adventures I can find myself in.

No comments: